Protocol For Autopsy Brains From Outside Institutions
- The brain should be fixed in 10% formalin (preferably buffered) at the time of autopsy.
- After 7-10 days fixation it should be rinsed in water for 2 hours, covered with numerous moist paper towels and placed in a sealed plastic bag.
- The bag should be sealed within a larger plastic bag (a trash or hazardous waste bag will work fine) to prevent leakage should the bag tear.
- The double bag ensemble should be placed in a sturdy cardboard box surrounded by Styrofoam chips to prevent movement, securely tape the box.
- This package should be addressed to:
UPMC Neuropathology Consult Services
Presbyterian University Hospital
Room S701 Scaife Hall
200 Lothrop Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Phone (412) 624-9415
Fax (412) 624-5610
- Please include a completed Neuropathology Consultation Form.
- Please call ahead to alert us to expect the delivery.
- The cost of an outside consult for the evaluation of Alzheimer's Disease is $1000.
- A report will usually be generated within 20 working days of receipt of the brain, however, if additional stains are required for the diagnosis of a dementia other than Alzheimer's, there may be further delay.
- A copy of our report will be sent to the Pathologist who sent the brain. It is the responsibility of this pathologist to distribute that report to the patient's physician(s).