What are the goals of this study?
- Increase our knowledge of CTE by inviting former contact sport participants to participate in a long-term observational study.
- Collect information about symptoms directly from participants and their study partner at baseline and at annual follow-up.
- Learn more about the frequency of CTE by enrolling participants with and without clinical symptoms.
- Provide opportunities for interested participants to enroll into companion and follow-up studies.
- Obtain provisional consent for brain donation.
- Widely share de-identified data and tissue samples with the research community for further studies into risk and resilience factors and molecular mechanisms of CTE.
- Participate in collaborative studies with other neuropathologists to refine histopathologic features and diagnostic criteria of CTE and other neurodegenerative processes following traumatic brain injury.